Dermalogica, has released the UltraCalming range, a complete system to help manage the multiple causes behind sensitised, inflamed skin, which can stem from a genetic predisposition towards sensitivity or as a result from environmental assaults. It’s a hostile world, and the effects of stress, pollution, climatic extremes, medical procedures and even the foods we eat reflect on our skin.
Sensitivity comes in many forms although, the solutions comes in one. Itching, burning, stinging and redness are obvious signs of sensitive skin. The triggers behind these sensations are less clear: genetics, hormones, stress, chemical assaults, foods and even aggressive exfoliation can intensify skin’s highly reactive state. These inflammatory responses include:
- Immunogenic inflammation: When skin is under assault, localised skin cells are alerted and activated to fight off the ‘invader’. This allergic reaction in skin triggers redness, soreness, and itchiness.
- Neurogenic inflammation: Whereas immunogenic inflammation is triggered by the immune system, neurogenic inflammation is triggered by the nervous system. When an irritant chemical activates nerve sensors, it results in the release of substances that also trigger the inflammatory cascade, resulting in redness, soreness and itchiness.
The good news is that sensitised skin can be treated and all the UltraCalming products feature the highly-effective, proprietary UltraCalming Complex. This multi-benefit complex includes active ingredients that mediate immunogenic and neurogenic inflammatory triggers for immediate and long-term relief of inflamed, sensitised skin. It also includes botanicals and peptides that help mimic skin’s natural protective barrier, helping to strengthen skin cell structure against water loss and defend against dehydration-induced sensitisation.
True to Dermalogica formulation standards, all UltraCalming products are free of known sensitisers like artificial fragrances and dyes, and tackle the challenges of treating sensitised, highly-reactive and recently resurfaced skin.
As science explores these multiple pathways, Dermalogica continues to research ingredients to deliver serious relief for sensitive skin. Found within each product in the range, the UltraCalming Complex consists of:
- Boerhavia Diffusa (Red Hogweed) root extract: Targets neurogenic inflammation by limiting the production of pro-inflammatory agents as well as promoting the production of natural anti-inflammatory agents in the skin
- Avena Sativa (Oat kernel) extracts: Rich in avenanthramides, the active components of the Avena Sativa plant which have been widely studied and proven to have natural anti-irritant and anti-redness properties.
- Zingiber officinate (Ginger) and Bisabolol (derived from Chamomile): Work synergistically to help reduce redness and irritation.
Ask your skin therapist about UltraCalming skin care products, to determine which products are best for you.