Pascal Gaurin was born circa 1970 in France. This French Perfumer works for IFF (International Flavors & Fragrances) as Senior Perfumer for the Fine Fragrances division (Click photo to enlarge).
Pascal had no objective reasons to become a perfumer, but chose it thanks to his gift. His fascination with scents was so great that as a child, he literally explored the world with his nose, causing his mother to wonder if he was afraid of being poisoned.
Pascal studied and graduated at ISIPCA in Versailles and a year after that he began to work in IFF, first in Hong Kong, where he enriched not only his olfactory palette, but also gained a deep understanding of the art, customs and olfactory preferences of people in Asia. Then, in 1997, Pascal was offered the chance to work in IFF, New York, the city of his dreams. The city where everything happens, and where all smells come together.
Most inspired by very dense essences, Pascal Gaurin is fond of resins, deep woods and anything that can express extreme sensuality. His taste for darkness probably originates from his grandparents’ home in Creuse, France. ‘The forests are very dark there, it always feels like it’s night time, you can feel the vapors of humus, mushrooms, leaves and bark. . . I love frontal materials, those you need to tame like sculptor does stone, by keeping the volume but making it flow’. This is where he gets his affinity for cistus, patchouli, Cashmeran and vanilla, ingredients he qualifies as erotic.”
Other passions of Pascal, which help him in his work, are music and film. The palette of fragrances created by Pascal Gaurin is wide indeed:
- 2000 Givenchy ‘Oblique Play’ (with Jean-Claude Delville)
- 2002 Calvin Klein ‘Crave’ (with Yves Cassar and Jean-Marc Chaillan)
- 2002 Liz Clairborne ‘Bora Bora’ (with Oliver Polge)
- 2003 Calvin Klein ‘Eternity Purple Orchid’ (with Sophia Grojsman)
- 2004 Curve ‘Crush Men’ (with Jean-Marc Chaillan)
- 2004 Karl Lagerfeld ‘Liquid Karl’ (with Bruno Jovanovic and Sandrine Malin)
- 2004 Liz Clairborne ‘Realities’ (with Jean-Marc Chaillan, Laurent le Guernec)
- 2005 Liz Clairborne ‘Liz’ (with Jean-Marc Chaillan, Laurent le Guernec)
- 2006 Banana Republic ‘Rosewood’
- 2006 Curve Chill Men (with Jean-Marc Chaillan, Laurent le Guernec, Loc Dong)
- 2007 Christian Lacroix ‘Noir’
Christian Lacroix ‘Nuit’ (Click photo to enlarge).
- 2007 Tom Ford ‘Black Violet’ (with Clement Gavarry)
- 2007 Calvin Klein ‘Eternity Summer’ (with Clement Gavarry)
- 2008 Patrick Dempsey ‘Unscripted’ (with Yves Cassar)
- 2008 Emanuelle Ungaro, ‘U by Ungaro for Him’ (with Yves Cassar)
- 2008 Calvin Klein ‘Eternity Summer’ (with Yves Cassar)
- 2008 Jessica Simpson ‘Fancy Love’ (with Celine Barel, Clement Gavarry, Yves Cassar)
- 2009 Michael Kors ‘Very Hollywood’ (with Laurent le Guernec)
- 2009 Valentino ‘Valentino’
- 2011 Christian Lacroix ‘Nuit for Him’
- 2012 Vera Wang ‘Lovestruck Floral Rush’
- 2013 Diesel ‘Loverdose Tattoo’ (with Anne Flipo)
- 2014 Diesel ‘Loverdose Tattoo EDT’ (with Anne Flipo)
- 2015 Diana Vreeland ‘Daringly Different’
- 2015 Oscar de La Renta ‘Extraordinary’ (with Bruno Jovanovic)
Oscar de La Renta ‘Extraordinary’ (Click photo to enlarge).
by Jean Amr